The Talent Academy is a 6-month fellowship during which nonprofit professionals engage in high-quality professional development through weekly seminars as well as project-based work as they write grant proposals for their own organizations. The goals of the Talent Academy include:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the grant writing process
- Be able to identify new funders and develop confidence in the local, regional, and national funding landscape
- Engage in each of the core responsibilities of a highly-effective grant writer, including prospecting and research, determining fit, writing and editing, reviewing for completeness and compliance, and compiling application packages for medium to large size proposals
- Know how to develop relationships with funders and understand funder priorities
- Gain a framework to guide grant writer processes from project start to successful completion
- Increase efficiency, effectiveness, and success of grant seeking
- Relate and apply concepts learned in a project to other future projects
- Apply edits and learn from peer/instructor feedback
- Understand the process required to complete a competitive project
- Form collaborative relationships within the peer cohort for long-term support in grant seeking
By the end of the six months, the knowledge, systems, processes, and tools learned can be embedded into their organizations. Fellows will receive follow-up assistance as well as access to The Grants Collective’s online platform and events during their fellowship.
The program is delivered by The Grants Collective with significant expert technical assistance from our partners at The Grant Plant.
Fellows are expected to display a high level of commitment to the program. This includes attendance at weekly seminars (Thursdays from 1-4 PM), attendance in at least one open lab time each week for one-on-one technical assistance and peer advice on current grant projects (offered Tuesdays between 12-3, Wednesdays between 9-12, or by arrangement), a commitment to collecting baseline measures on grant success and willingness to continue to report for one-year post program completion, and a willingness to share information, ideas, resources, and feedback within the cohort. Fellows should be actively seeking grants for their organization throughout the duration of the program.
While fellows and organizations are asked to provide data reporting to assist with The Grants Collective’s results based accountability framework, your information is confidential. Your name will NOT appear in any material except by permission.
Please complete the information in the following sections.
A letter of support from a direct supervisor must be included with your application.
The cost for the Talent Academy is $3,500 (plus applicable tax); applicants will be invoiced upon acceptance to the fellowship. Fellows must bring their own laptop or mobile workstation when working on-site with The Grants Collective.